Information on Keeping Us Safe Organization

Description of your first forum.

Information on Keeping Us Safe Organization

Postby cdillon » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:29 pm

My name is Matt Gurwell, and I am a retired Ohio State Trooper.
Upon retirement, I founded “Keeping Us Safe”, a national organization that provides educational and self-assessment services to older drivers and their families.
Most recently, we have developed the “Beyond Driving with Dignity” professional certification program. This is a 1-day certification course that trains individuals to work with the families of older drivers as they are faced with the emotional and sensitive issue of age-related diminishing driving skills in their loved-one.
As a retired law enforcement officer, I can say that it is a perfect revenue opportunity for retired or current members of the law enforcement community.
I am hoping that someone from your office can share the attached e-brochure with your membership. I feel comfortable saying that many of them would be interested in the opportunity to become a certified “Beyond Driving with Dignity” professional.
Thank you for your time and consideration,
Matt
Matt Gurwell
Founder & CEO
Keeping Us Safe
877-907-8841
http://www.keepingussafe.org
Click here to Learn More About Becoming a Certified "Beyond Driving with Dignity" Professional

Keeping Us Safe
Proudly Presents the…
Beyond Driving with Dignity
Training & Certification Program

Keeping Us Safe
Proudly Presents the…
Providing practical, real-life solutions to older drivers and their families
Become a Trained & Certified
“Beyond Driving with Dignity Professional”
Rev. 071811
www.beyonddrivingwithdignity.com

Do You Possess These Qualities…
a sincere passion to help older drivers and their families?
excellent inter-personal skills?
the ability to quickly and accurately sort opinion from fact?
great listening skills?
the ability to bring calm to an unsettling emotional circumstance?
a "can do" attitude?
the courage to make the right decisions, knowing in advance that your decisions may not be well-received?
a sincere interest in helping keep our roadways safe?
the fortitude to stay with a project until it's complete?
the ability to be empathetic toward others?
a friendly and caring disposition?
If so, then our program
may be perfect for you!!

Table of Contents
The Beyond Driving with Dignity Program
Is There a Need?
What is a BDD Professional?
Who is This Program For?
Qualifications
The Business Advantage
About the Course
Your Start-up Kit
On-going Supports
Maintaining Your Certification
How Much Does the Certification Cost?
Training Dates and Locations
How Do I Enroll?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
How Can I Learn More?
Never be afraid to try something new.
Remember…amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titanic.
- Anonymous

The Beyond Driving with Dignity Program
Page 1
The Beyond Driving with Dignity (BDD) training and certification program has been designed to arm certain professionals with tools necessary to help older drivers and their families work through the complicated issue of age-related diminishing driving skills.
Our training and certification program supplements your current professional skills and life experiences with a very pro-active, targeted program that will help older drivers and their loved ones work through what can be a very complex, sensitive and emotional transition.
The Beyond Driving with Dignity program is not built around the premeditated goal of “taking the keys away” from an older driver. Rather, the program is designed to help the older driver and concerned family members make appropriate decisions on the future of the individual’s safe driving career. It is true that in certain circumstances, this may involve assisting the older driver in making a smooth and permanent transition from the driver’s seat to the passenger seat.
The Certified Beyond Driving with Dignity Professional will receive training in:
· Evolving a concerned family’s opinion and speculation into solid, tangible facts
· Helping the older driver and his or her family make appropriate driving related decisions
· Providing a viable, practical plan that will help ensure a smooth driving retirement, or

in helping the older driver self-impose appropriate driving restrictions
· Creating a culture of ongoing support to help the older driver and his/her family meet transportation needs
· Ensuring there is minimal disruption to the older driver’s personal independence, dignity and feelings of self-worth during this transition process, and beyond

The Beyond Driving with Dignity program is designed to be worked in close conjunction with “Beyond Driving with Dignity; The workbook for the families of older drivers”. The workbook complements the efforts of the BDD Professional, and the BDD Professional complements the contents of the workbook. Both the BDD professional and the workbook work in tandem to bring a peaceful resolution to the complex and sensitive issues surrounding an older driver’s diminishing driving skills.
Is There a Need?
Page 2
Recent Storylines
· Elderly couple found frozen to death after getting lost on drive

The Washington Post - January 13, 2011
· Woman run over by her elderly husband

Fox5 San Diego - April 26, 2011
· High speed crash caused by 83 year old wrong-way driver

Fox5 San Diego - February 7, 2011
· Car bursts into flames after older driver crashes into Houston home

KHOU 11 News Houston - June 21, 2011
· Houston: Tearful reunion as missing elderly couple found in Florida returns home

KHOU 11 News Houston - June 8, 2011
· 83-year-old woman sentenced to three years in prison for killing a 5-year-old at bus stop

Marietta Daily Journal - April 23, 2011
A Few Facts
According to the U. S. Department of Transportation, an average of 500 older adults are injured every day in crashes.
Research on age-related driving concerns has shown that at around the age of 65 drivers face an increased risk of being involved in a vehicle crash. After the age of 75, the risk of driver fatality increases sharply, because older drivers are more vulnerable to both crash-related injury and death.
Starting in January 2011, more than 10,000 baby boomers a day will turn 65, a pattern that will continue for the next 19 years.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), most older drivers can expect to outlive their driving ability by about 7-10 years.
The American Medical News reports that drivers 85 and older are nine times more likely to die in a crash than are drivers 25-69.
What is a BDD Professional?
Page 3
The Beyond Driving with Dignity Professional is someone who has successfully completed a very unique, one-day, live in-person training program built around:
1. “Beyond Driving with Dignity; The workbook for the families of older drivers”, and

2. The “Enhanced Self-Assessment Program” for older drivers

After receiving their certification, the BDD Professional is now well-suited to provide older drivers and their families with a very specific program that will help make decisions on how to keep the older driver safe.
The Certified BDD Professional is not:
· an employee of Keeping Us Safe, or

· an employee of Keeping Us Safe, or
· a franchise owner of Keeping Us Safe, or
· a driving assessor

The Beyond Driving with Dignity certification program is not a program to train individuals to become driving assessors. Certification in the Beyond Driving with Dignity program is designed to be a common-sense approach to facilitate (and often times mediate!) rational, common-sense driving-related solutions based on tangible facts and personal observations.
Since sessions between the Beyond Driving with Dignity professional and the older driver are typically conducted in the older driver’s residence, your base of operations can be your place of business, your workplace, or even your home office.
Our Beyond Driving with Dignity self-assessment program is designed to be worked in the comfort and confidence of the older driver’s home, and has been referred to as a kitchen table exercise.
Who is This Certification For?
Page 4
“I frequently receive calls from adult children concerned about an elderly parent’s driving abilities. I now have an invaluable program that I can deliver to them as part of my professional services. It is very gratifying to see the relief on the faces of my client families once I’ve settled their fears.”
Susan H.
Geriatric Care Manager
If you are a…
· Nurse
· Discharge planner
· Social worker
· Geriatric care manager
· Personal injury attorney
· ElderLaw attorney
· Counselor
· Automobile insurance agent
· Life insurance agent
· Clergy
· Parish nurse
· Financial planner
· Occupational/physical therapist
· Nurse practitioner
· Employee assistance professional
· Human resources professional
· Independent/assisted living administrator
· Case manager
· Community relations officer (police)
· Court official
· Mental health professional

Then this certification
may be perfect for you!
“I have been able to provide an additional service to my older driver policy holders. This has helped keep my older customers safe on the roads, which simultaneously reduces my claims payout ratio. Being the only agent in my community to offer this service has helped earn the trust of the community and has also provided a significant boost to my marketing efforts.”
Franklin T.
Auto Insurance Agent
I left the social work field several years ago to begin a family. I saw the BDD Certification program as an excellent opportunity for me to get back to serving others, and I like that I can work the program at my own pace and own my own schedule. I can do as many or as few BDD sessions as I want. This has been a wonderful opportunity for me!
Kimberly W.
Social Worker
Qualifications
Page 5
The Beyond Driving with Dignity professional is dedicated to helping families of older drivers respond to the challenges of age-related diminishing driving skills.
The Beyond Driving with Dignity program provides a valuable service to families and the good of the greater community. As a result of filling this need, Beyond Driving with Dignity professionals find themselves in an excellent position to generate revenue for their invaluable services.
Education/Experience Requirements:
Option 1: Professional with at least 3 years paid work
experience working in any of the job
descriptions (or similar) listed on Page 4 above
Option 2: A degree (or certificate) in a discipline related to the geriatric or counseling
communities
Option 3: Hold a Bachelors degree in a related field
Option 4: 10 years experience in law enforcement or highway safety
Option 5: A combination of any of the above
Option 6: Other qualifying experience or education
Option 7: Have volunteered a minimum of 50 hours over the past 2 years working with seniors
If you possess these basic qualifications and want to make a positive difference in the lives of others, then we invite you to enroll in the Beyond Driving with Dignity Professional training and certification program!
The Business Advantage
Page 6
The Beyond Driving with Dignity certification program is an excellent program if you want to…
 Supplement your current income

The BDD certification facilitate your efforts by adding
profitable services to increase your revenues and bottom line.
 Develop your own stand-alone business

For those who wish to supplement current employment or business
activities with a separate, value add service offering, the BDD
certification affords you that opportunity.
 Provide additional services to your current client base

For those who presently have employment or business activities in such areas as
insurance, medical or social work, and other personal and family services, the BDD
certification provides the foundation for you to expand the client relationship on a
profitable basis.
 Gain additional clients

As you grow your BDD service business, public workshops and presentations, referrals, and word-of-mouth acknowledgment provide you with an outstanding marketing edge over your competition.
This is not a multi-level marketing business model, it is instead…
· an excellent business opportunity for you to provide a professional service that is designed to make a positive difference in the lives of others
· an opportunity to provide valuable services and generate additional revenue from your place of business, your workplace, or even from your home
· an opportunity to provide services at a pace you feel comfortable with…do as many or as few self-assessments as you choose

The sky is the limit!
Keeping Us Safe wants you to succeed
About the Course
Page 7
What will the training session be like?
· Classroom lecture
· Role playing exercises
· Supplemental videos
· Small group exercises
· Guest speakers
· Continental breakfast and full lunch will be provided
· Very relaxed, friendly, enjoyable, lively, comfortable and interactive atmosphere!

Course Syllabus
Afternoon
Facilitating Decisions
Executive Report
Developing Your Business Model
Final Examination
Issuance of Credentials
Morning
Introductions
Policy & Procedure
Ethics & Professionalism
The Self-Assessment Philosophy
Understanding the Workbook
Performing the Session
Providing On-Going Supports
Each enrollee will have the opportunity for a 30 minute, personal (or by telephone if necessary for logistical reasons) meeting with Matt Gurwell, Founder & CEO of Keeping Us Safe to discuss any issues, concerns or questions that you may have concerning the program.
In certain cases, this training certification may qualify you for Continuing Education (CEU) credits for your specific discipline.
Your Start-up Kit
Page 8
Your start-up kit will be issued on the day of your training session.
Your start-up kit will include:
· Your name@beyonddrivingwithdignity.com email address (if you choose)
· Beyond Driving with Dignity photo ID card (with expiration date)
· Three “Beyond Driving with Dignity; The workbook for the families of older drivers” workbooks
· Beyond Driving with Dignity participant’s guidebook
· 100 personalized business cards (if you choose)
· Beyond Driving with Dignity informational/promotional brochures for your use
· A personalized media release for media outlets in your community announcing your successful completion of the program

Quotes retrieved from Twitter
@KeepingUsSafe
(Loss of convenience, not independence)
“Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl,
is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.”
- Albert Einstein
On-Going Supports
Page 9
As an organization, Keeping Us Safe will work tirelessly to help ensure the success of each and every certified Beyond Driving with Dignity professional. Technical and business supports are available to you at no additional charge via a dedicated email address and a toll-free telephone number (for BDD professionals only) that is structured to prioritize over other incoming calls.
We encourage and foster an air of cooperation with our BDD professionals!
Technical & Business Supports
· technical assistance and guidance as you conduct your BDD sessions and prepare your Session Executive Reports
· help in developing your own unique promotional material
· assistance in developing and distributing media releases
· help in finding local resources that may be of value to your clients
· guidance and aggressive supports in your marketing efforts
· help developing statistics unique to your geographical area
· supports that will further your professional networking initiatives
· assistance in promoting your successes in the program
· free access to BDD-related educational webinars

Our monthly e-newsletter for BDD professionals includes such topics as:
· updates on current trends and ongoing research projects
· updates on best-practices for BDD professionals
· updates on national highway safety programs vehicle safety technology
· marketing strategies, tips and suggestions
· links to your state’s driving and testing laws
· our ‘BDD Professional of the Month’ feature
· unique networking opportunities
· updates on new Beyond Driving with Dignity products
· our “What’s on the horizon?” feature
· articles on client successes
· award, recognition and achievement announcements of our BDD professionals

Maintaining Your Certification
Page 10
Good News…
Maintaining your certification is easy!
Upon satisfactory completion of the training program, your certification will remain current until the end of the calendar year. Newly certified professionals are now required to maintain their certification. To do so, each professional receives monthly continuing education training on such issues as current trends, new technology and best practices as they relate to issues surrounding older drivers.
For all members of our inaugural 2011 BDD training sessions, this annual renewal rate of $149 will never increase!
A $149 annual renewal fee is required to maintain your certification.
The fee includes:
· Certification renewal and continued listing in our directory
· Issuance of a current Beyond Driving with Dignity identification card
· The opportunity to attend six on-line continuing education programs

each calendar year
· Access to our e-newsletter developed specifically for our certified

BDD professionals (see Page 9 above)
· Referrals! Under our current business model, calls received by

Keeping Us Safe from concerned families will be referred to the
appropriate Beyond Driving with Dignity professional.
How Much Does the Certification Cost?
Page 11
Total cost for the Beyond Driving with Dignity training and certification is $750. There are no hidden costs and this price includes:
· Criminal background check
· Start-up kit (see page 8)
· One day live, in-person training session
· Complimentary workbook upon paid deposit
· Your name@beyonddrivingwithdignity.com email address (if you choose)

Payment methods include major credit cards and business/personal checks. A deposit of $250 is needed to:
 Begin the registration process
 Secure your position in the class

Tuition Timeline
As identified above, a $250 deposit is required to reserve your position in the class. The remaining balance is not due until 14 days prior to the scheduled start date. Click here to review our refund policy.
· An immediate $50 discount is available to those who choose

to pay the full tuition balance amount prior to 30 days before
the class start date
· Refer a friend and receive an additional $50 discount
· Additional discounts are available to organizations that enroll

three or more employees into the program
In addition receiving tuition discounts by paying early and/or by referring a friend, you might also consider:
· Obtaining a corporate sponsor to cover all or part of your tuition
· Receiving financial assistance from your employer
· Obtaining a training/education grant

Training Dates & Locations
Page 12
The following sessions are scheduled for 2011:
Cleveland
Tampa
St. Louis
Phoenix
Philadelphia
Chicago
Raleigh
August
August
September
September
October
October
November
Question: What if I don’t see my city listed in the above schedule?
Answer: Not to worry! Dates & locations for the 2011 schedule (and for 2012!) are still being developed.
To suggest that the program be brought to your area, or to learn more about the 2011 schedule venues, simply send an e-mail to the Beyond Driving with Dignity program.
(Click here to read our refund policy)
How Do I Enroll?
Page 13
Enrollment is quick and easy!
Simply follow these 3 easy steps:
· Ensure that you meet the minimum qualifications
· Click here to complete the on-line registration form
· Submit your $250 deposit

Once your on-line registration and deposit have been received, you will receive (within 2 days) a confirmation email with instructions on:
· how to proceed with your criminal/DMV background check
· remaining payment schedule and balance
· an invoice documenting your payments to date
· information on what you can expect next
· your candidate tracking number (this reference number will stay with you during your entire tenure as a BDD Professional)

You are encouraged to register now, as class sizes are limited.
If at any time during the enrollment and registration process you have a question, please call us right away
at 877-907-8841
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
Page 14
Do I have to pay the entire tuition immediately?
No! A $250 deposit is required to reserve your position in the class. The remaining balance is not due until 14 days prior to the scheduled start date. A $50 discount is available to those who choose to pay the full amount prior to 30 days before the class start date.
What if I need overnight accommodations?
In most instances, we will have secured special reduced rates for blocks of rooms within the Marriott community. If you would like to take advantage of these discounted rates, or need assistance with finding suitable accommodations, please just let us know and we’ll be more than happy to assist you.
What if I don’t meet the minimum qualifications as listed on Page 5?
Because of the unique skill set that is needed to be a successful Beyond Driving with Dignity professional, it is not realistic to ask interested individuals to conform to a cookie-cutter, hard-lined set of qualifications. Doing so would certainly eliminate many great program candidates. If you believe you do not meet the minimum qualifications, please contact us for further consideration.
Once I have completed the training and have received the certification of a Beyond Driving with Dignity professional, do I become an employee of Keeping Us Safe?
Although we have several employment opportunities, you are simply receiving the training and certification to function as a Beyond Driving with Dignity professional. This certification may be used as you see fit (within certain guidelines).
How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment to improve the world. - Anne Frank
Page 15
How Can I Learn More?
Page 15
This brochure is current as of July 18, 2011. The current revision date can be found in the lower right corner of the brochure’s cover page.
To ensure you have the most current information, check the revision date by clicking here to confirm that you are reading from the most current edition. If not, download your free copy of the revised edition.
We’ve worked hard to cover many of the bases in this informational brochure, however we surely have not covered everything! If you have questions or would like to receive additional information, please either:
· Call us toll-free at 877-907-8841
· Click here to send us an email

For Additional Information
Beyond Driving with Dignity; The workbook for the families of older drivers
The Enhanced Self-Assessment Program for older drivers
Follow Keeping Us Safe on Twitter
Connect with us on LinkedIn
We can do no great things, only small things with great love.
-Mother Teresa
cdillon
Site Admin

Return to Your first forum