Fund Raiser for Joe Mescall

Description of your first forum.

Fund Raiser for Joe Mescall

Postby cdillon » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:23 pm

Information obtained from Facebook

Hello, my name is Marlene and I am setting up this fund for my step-father Joseph Mescall.
On February 27, 2016, life as we knew it was forever changed. This day began like any other day. Joe and his partner, both retired Chicago Police Officers, were going to the shooting range to qualify for their annual firearm permit when tragedy struck. As Joe proceeded to take his turn, he fell hyper-extending his neck. Paramedics were immediately called, and upon arrival they stabilized him. It was during this initial assessment that Joe said he was unable to move anything. He was transported to Silver Cross Hospital where further testing revealed his spinal cord was compressed. He was immediately transported to Loyola Medical Center in Maywood where a spinal decompression and cervical fusion were performed.
In spite of the efforts made by the entire medical team, the final news was devastating. The trauma caused by the accident severely damaged his spine resulting in paralysis from the neck down. Once stabilized, he was transferred to the Rehab Institute of Chicago where he underwent intense physical and occupational therapy.
On May 10th, Joe was finally able to come home, but not before structural modifications were made to the house to accommodate his every need. As you might have guessed, insurance didn't cover any of the cost for these modifications or for the handicapped accessible van needed to transport him to his various appointments. To make matters worse we also learned that a majority of the supplies needed to care for him on a daily basis are not covered either. As you can imagine the medical expenses are astronomical.
No matter if it was in his personal life or during his 33 years on the Chicago Police Force, Dad always had a huge smile and a helping hand for anyone in need.
Please help me show him that he has not been forgotten. I'm sure I speak for the entire family when I say that we will be forever grateful to all of you for any and all donations made towards this fundraiser.
Thank You

Here is the link - https://www.gofundme.com/Joe-Mescall/donate
cdillon
Site Admin

Return to Your first forum